Thursday, November 1, 2012

From Siddhartha to Buddha: A journey of Self-awakening

"At times he heard within him a soft, gentle voice, which reminded him quietly, complained quietly, so that he could hardly hear it.  Then he suddenly saw clearly that he was leading a strange life, that he was doing many things that were only a game, that he was quite cheerful and sometimes experienced pleasure, but that real life was flowing past him and did not touch him.” Excerpts from Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

I think this emotion inflicts each one of us who is unable to find direction or purpose in life. Someone who feels that he is not living a meaningful life.

The word Siddhartha is made up of two words in the Sanskrit language, siddha (achieved) + artha (meaning or wealth), which together means "he who has found meaning (of existence)"

I am not here to preach you a dogma or a philosophy because I am just trying to share what I have discovered through my life. Like Siddhartha, we all are living a fear based life.

Let me ask you a question? What is the opposite of fear? Is it courage right?

If you said courage, then no doubt your answer was wrong. The opposite of fear is love. Love based life dispels all fear. Living a life you love requires tremendous courage, doing a job which you love requires courage. You may or may not get all the money you aimed for initially, however I am sure If you start doing things you are passionate about you will become happy. Isn’t it the purpose of  life is to be happy? This was the awakening of Siddhartha and thus becoming “Buddha”. Buddha in japanese means awakened, enlightened.

The moment we shed our fears and start living life we always wanted we become buddha. But this one small change requires tremendous love towards our own life. Even writing this article was so much joy for me as it came out of love to share my love with all of you. I faced my fears to be able to write an article. I am writing it with no goals in mind. I am not planning to achieve a particular readership target or an adsense revenue target. It came from “love center” of my being. I’m feeling liberated to be able to write everyday. Writing gives me a channel, an outlet to let my creative thoughts share in my micro-universe without fear of judgement. A quote from movie Peaceful Warrior “Its the journey that gives us happiness, not the destinations”. Lets start this journey towards our awakening to live a love centric life, to be able to do work towards what we love most with no goals in mind.

The awakening of Siddhartha paved way for Buddha.

No comments:

Post a Comment